The leaves are starting to fall, the days are getting shorter, and the Autumn Grilling Series is in full swing. One of the best times to cook outdoors, fall grilling features robust flavors of ripe fruit, veggies, and various meats. To get you going for an easy and wonderful weeknight meal here's Grilled Hanger Steak with Kimchi-Apple Slaw. This dish is perfect for the fall season because it has a mesquite-grilled flavor and seasonal ingredients like apples and kimchi. If you're looking to spice up your grilling routine, this recipe will not disappoint!
If you enjoy grilled steak, and who doesn't, this grilled hanger steak recipe is a great way to welcome the autumn grilling season. With a robust marinade of soy, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and shallots, the steak is infused with flavor and moisture in just 15 minutes. The slaw combines kimchi, Granny Smith apples, cucumbers, mayonnaise, and apple cider vinegar for a crisp tart and tangy explosion of flavor. The steak is grilled over medium-high heat for no more than 4-5 minutes per side, making this meal ready from start to finish in just 30 minutes. So get ready to welcome autumn with grilled hanger steak and a fresh kimchi-apple slaw; your family will love it!
Grilled Hanger Steak with Kimchi-Apple Slaw Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (plus more for grilling)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (finely grated)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds hanger steak
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Granny Smith apple (small peeled and julienned)
- 1 cucumber (small julienned)
- 1 cup cabbage kimchi with juices (chopped)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Sliced scallion (for garnish)
Grilled Hanger Steak with Kimchi-Apple Slaw Directions
- In a large bowl, combine the canola oil and three tablespoons of the sugar with the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Add the steak and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise with the vinegar and the remaining one teaspoon of sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in the apple, cucumber, and kimchi; season with salt and chill.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Grill the steak over moderate heat until charred and medium-rare within 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak, top with sesame seeds and scallion, and serve with the slaw.